Terms & Conditions
General terms and conditions of Van der Valk Hotel Ghent, Akkerhage 10, 9000 Gent
1. Cancellations and decrease in the number of participants for events and services
- Up to 45 days before the first planned arrival date, the entire booking or a part thereof can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due.
- Between 45 and 30 days before the first planned arrival date, 60% of the number of participants and the related services booked can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due. Each additional cancellation will be charged at the contract price. This cancellation exemption/discount cannot be combined with one of the above or following cancellation exemptions/discounts.
- Between 30 and 15 days before the first planned arrival date, 40% of the number of participants and the related services booked can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due. Each additional cancellation will be charged at the contract price. This cancellation exemption/discount cannot be combined with one of the above or following cancellation exemptions/discounts.
- Between 15 and 7 days before the first planned arrival date, 20% of the number of participants and the related services booked can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due. Each additional cancellation will be charged at the contract price. This cancellation exemption/discount cannot be combined with one of the above or following cancellation exemptions/discounts.
- Less than 7 days before the first planned arrival date, a flat-rate cancellation fee is due, equal to 100% of the price of the cancelled number of participants or services.
2. Rooms - Cancellations and reduction in the number of room bookings
- Up to 30 days before the first planned arrival date, the entire booking or a part thereof can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due.
- Between 30 and 15 days before the first planned arrival date, 50% of the number of rooms per night can be cancelled without a cancellation fee being due. Each additional cancellation will be charged at the contract price. This cancellation exemption/discount cannot be combined with one of the above or following cancellation exemptions/discounts.
- Less than 15 days before the first planned arrival date, a flat-rate cancellation fee is due, equal to 100% of the price of the cancelled number of bookings.
- The customer shall submit a detailed list to Van der Valk not later than 14 days before the planned arrival date, listing the following information per room: occupation (single, double, etc.), the name and details of the relevant participant(s) (i.e.: surname, first name, gender, address, nationality), and (in the case of individual payment) a valid credit card number.
- If the rooms are booked via an individual call-in form, the participant is responsible and liable for the room booking and payment. If the customer cancels the whole event, the customer is liable for the rooms which were taken in option. In this case, the cancellation conditions apply as mentioned above.
3. Deposits and billing
- The deposit is based on 50% of the total invoice and has to be paid at the latest 14 days before the start of the event.
- If the customer fails to comply with the terms as regards the payment of the advance or the whole invoice payable in advance, the hotel reserves the right to cancel the booking, or will only offer those services that correspond to the amount of the advance already paid.
- The billing address mentioned in the contract is binding for the invoice. Changes can only be made prior to the events and/or overnight stay. Invoices are sent only by e-mail. Acceptance of the general terms and conditions implies that the customer grants permission for the invoices to be sent in this manner. A billing e-mail address should be provided by the customer at the latest before the start of the event. Exceptions to this are only possible if agreed otherwise in advance.
- After the end of the activity, the final balance is drawn up and the party is committed to pay the balance of the invoice amount at the time of departure, unless otherwise agreed in writing. Payment is in cash or by Visa, Eurocard, Bankcontact or Mastercard, unless agreed otherwise in advance.
- Invoices are payable within 14 days after the invoice date on the invoice, and in accordance with the general terms and conditions which are an integral part of this Agreement.
- An interest of 2% per month will be charged without prior formal notice for any invoices which are not paid within thirty days after the invoice date. A flat-rate compensation of 15% of the outstanding amount of the invoice is payable, with a minimum of € 50.00, without prejudice to legal costs and implementation costs. All complaints of any nature should be communicated to us in writing by registered post, within eight days after the invoice date. After the expiry of this period, protests are no longer admissible and complaints are regarded as not having been received.
- If the customer has organised an activity in the Van der Valk Hotel, and has used the facilities of Van der Valk for that activity (including e.g. the making available of hotel rooms) and Van der Valk has, at the request of the customer, invoiced these facilities/hotel rooms and appurtenances to one or more individual participants (as indicated by the customer), the customer nevertheless, together with the participants concerned, remains jointly and severally and indivisibly liable, one in the absence of the other, for the payment to Van der Valk of all amounts due by the participants, related to the principal amount, interest and costs.
- This booking agreement is only valid after acceptance and signing by Van der Valk.
- As long as this has not been done, Van der Valk cannot be held to any aspects of the Agreement with regards to the customer and or its participants, and Van der Valk also reserves the right to regard the event to be null and void and to make all rooms and spaces intended by the customer available to third parties.
- The customer has no rights to any services of Van der Valk until a definitive Agreement has been signed by and provided to both parties. After signing, and therefore acceptance by Van der Valk, all commitments between the parties shall only be governed by this Agreement, which replaces all previous Agreements between the parties.
- All amendments or additions to this contract should only be made in writing and be accepted by both parties. Oral agreements will not be considered valid.
- The organiser is fully aware of the above terms and conditions, which are an integral part of the contract, and accepts these.
5.1. Increase in the number of participants for events and services
If the customer informs Van der Valk of an increase in the number of participants less than 14 days before the planned date, the hotel will make every reasonable effort to provide its services to this increased number of participants, though without the hotel being liable for the consequences if they do not or not fully succeed.
The exact number of participants should in any case be confirmed at the latest five working days before the event.
5.2 Audio-visual and EDP equipment
- If Van der Valk makes audio-visual or EDP equipment available to the customer, the customer is responsible for the equipment for the entire duration of the event. The customer will - in the absence of any note immediately after the making available of this equipment - be considered to have received the equipment in a good condition of maintenance and operation.
- If the customer makes use of his own equipment and/or equipment which he has obtained from a third party, the customer (with the express exclusion of Van der Valk) is and remains responsible for the equipment for the entire duration of the event, and where appropriate will take the necessary measures to prevent damage, theft, etc.
- The customer is required to notify the hotel in advance of the fact that he wishes to make use of the walls, the tables or the floor of the room booked. He will also be required to request prior written approval from Van der Valk for the posting or placing of posters, signs, flags or any other advertising media.
- The customer is required to remove all his own materials and equipment from the hotel at the latest at the end of the event. The hotel cannot be held responsible for material/equipment that has not been removed in a timely manner.
5.3 Booking of conference rooms
The names of the meeting rooms, as mentioned in the contract, are only exemplary and are in no way binding. The hotel at all times reserves the right to unilaterally and without obligation change the names of the meeting rooms. Van der Valk is only required to inform the customer thereof, at the latest on the day of arrival.
5.4 Check-in/check-out of rooms
- Check-in is possible from 15:00 hours on the arrival date. If the customer/participant arrives before this time, Van der Valk will do its best to make the room available earlier, but is not obliged to do is.
- If the customer/participant wishes to make sure that the room can be used before 15:00 hours, this is only possible if the customer/participant pre-registers: this means that the previous night is booked at the normally applicable rates.
- The official check-out time is 12:00 hours. In case of a late check-out and/or in the case of extension until 17:00 hours, an additional charge applies, equal to half the day rate for the room. In addition, the option of extending check-out depends on the availability of the room and cannot be guaranteed.
5.5 Early departure
If the customer decides to terminate the event prematurely and/or if the customer/a participant decides to leave the meeting rooms and/or the hotel before the booked departure date, Van der Valk reserves the right to integrally charge the remaining planned/booked days and/or nights, incl. the booked facilities/appurtenances, at the contractually agreed rate.
The customer expressly undertakes to start and end his event within the contractually planned times. Van der Valk reserves the right to charge all additional hours or other expenses resulting from the failure to respect this timetable to the customer, who hereby accepts these charges.
5.7 Choice of menu
- The final choice of menu and programme should be communicated to Van der Valk at least ten days before the event. If the choice of menu is not confirmed to Van der Valk by the customer within that time, Van der Valk reserves the right to make a menu choice, in order to guarantee an optimal preparation for the event.
- If the customer makes changes to the menu less than seven days before the event, Van der Valk (if they also manage to deliver the modified menu) reserves the right to charge the additional costs caused by this late change to the customer.
5.8 Additional requests
In order to enable Van der Valk to offer an optimal service, all additional requests should be listed on this document, signed by the customer.
Only these specific requests, which Van der Valk explicitly agrees to in writing, will form part of this Agreement and the obligations of Van der Valk.
5.9 Smoking ban / anti-drug policy
Van der Valk Hotel Ghent has a strict anti-drug policy. Selling, owning and using drugs is strictly forbidden on site and in the buildings. This also includes selling, using or possessing laughing gas. Smoking is not permitted in the buildings and therefore not in the hotel rooms. If a violation of one of the aforementioned cases is found, the hotel will charge a fine of € 150 and the person(s) will immediately be asked to leave.
6. Liability and insurance
- The customer undertakes to take out an insurance with a recognised Belgian insurance company, covering its liability as an organiser during the said period.
- In addition, the customer should provide that its participants behave themselves properly, in accordance with the house rules of the hotel.
- The customer/participants are hereby prohibited to, amongst other things, use the available spaces for meetings which relate to extreme ideologies and or tendencies, and/or which could directly or indirectly have a negative impact on the normal hotel operations, or which could disturb the peace for the other hotel guests.
- The customer will in any case, together with the participants, be jointly and severally and indivisibly, one in the absence of the other, liable to pay Van der Valk for any damage or harm caused by the participants of the customer. The customer will also indemnify Van der Valk against any claims (both with regard to the principal amount, interest and costs) which may be submitted against Van der Valk by one of the other guests/customers, for damage/nuisance which they experience as a result of the event and/or the attitude/behaviour or negligence of the customer or participants.
- The hotel can in any case never and in no way be held liable in the event of the theft of or damage to goods/objects/etc. which are kept in the hotel by the customer or participants.
- Van der Valk reserves the right to terminate this Agreement by a simple written notice to the customer, organiser, in case the above mentioned conditions were not respected by the customer. In that case, the latter shall be required to pay Van der Valk damages equal to 50% of the amount that would have been payable by the customer if the Agreement would not have been terminated.
- If Van der Valk determines that they cannot provide the rooms/meeting rooms/facilities such as these were booked by the customer and accepted by Van der Valk, at the planned time, Van der Valk will notify the customer of this fact as soon as possible. In that case, Van der Valk will only be held to provide similar rooms and facilities to the customer, and such in the nearest equivalent hotel, with Van der Valk only being held to repay a possible difference to the customer, with the express exclusion of any other damages or costs.
- If Van der Valk provides the service as stated in the previous point, the customer is required to indemnify Van der Valk against all possible claims by the participants of the customer against Van der Valk, as a result of the planned rooms/meeting rooms/facilities not being made available.
8. Fire prevention and safety procedures
- Emergency exits must always remain free from obstructions and all signs of their location must be visible to all participants attending the event. Where explicitly stated, fire and emergency doors must always remain closed. Nothing may be attached to panic switches and handles, nor can materials be placed behind the doors.
- Stairways that serve as escape routes must be kept free from obstructions.
- It is prohibited to bring flammable, explosive or dangerous liquids or products inside the hotel, as well as to make adjustments to existing installations, materials, furniture or equipment without the prior written permission of the hotel management. If such adjustments prove to be necessary, these must be applied for with the hotel management in writing and at least 21 days before the event.
- Curtains, wall coverings and any other decorative materials hung up or secured to or against walls and ceilings, must be manufactured from at least flame-retardant or fireproof material. If these materials are hung up in door openings or passageways, they must be separated in the middle and secured in such a manner that they can easily be drawn to one side.
- The electrical facilities must not be overloaded.
- Firefighting equipment and facilities must not be abused.
- The smoking ban should always be respected.
- If the organiser has hired external security staff for the event, the contracted security firm has to be licenced by the Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations (Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken), and all staff has to comply with the laws and regulations on security firms and internal security services of April 10, 1999, concerning training. The number of and names of security staff and the specification of whether they bear fire arms or not have to be communicated to the hotel management in advance in writing.
- Care should be taken to ensure that the maximum number of people in a room is not exceeded without the prior written permission of the hotel management.
This Agreement shall be governed exclusively by Belgian law.
Any disputes concerning the validity, interpretation and implementation of the Agreement, or billing and implementation can only be brought before the courts of the district of Antwerp.